Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cocoa brownies


I love brownies, especially ones that have a deep, dark, cocoa-y flavor. I rarely make them from scratch though--for a few reasons. One-I am usually horrified by the amount of butter that goes into an 8-inch square pan. I read a recipe and just say to myself 'yeah, there's no way I can allow myself to eat these.' Two-why make them from scratch when the ones from a box aren't all that bad? I know, I know, and I call myself a baker.

But this recipe has me sold on the homemade variety. The deep cocoa flavor and dense fudgy texture are awesome. They are not as easy to make as the boxed ones, but they definitely taste homemade, and that's what I'm all about.

I would never make cookies out of a box, so why brownies? Plus, I think half the reason I bake is the enjoyment of the process, not necessarily the outcome. And there's just something in me that feels wrong when I rip the top of that box open and dump the sugary powder into a bowl, add some eggs and oil and voila--a half hour later get brownies.

So come on, let's make homemade brownies! Here's the recipe. If you require more incentive--not only do these brownies freeze very well, all the ingredients can be found in your kitchen right now. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment