Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Reversible Placemats


The other day, I woke up and just had to sew. We got a 'new to us table' that seriously needs some place mats to make the table more...us.  My fabric stash is appallingly low and somehow full of fabric that doesn't match (am I schizophrenic?)  So instead of waiting until I could make it to a fabric store to buy coordinating cloth, I thought I'd make do with what I had.  These is crazy place mats!!

Hip on one side...


French country on the other!

These were easy to make and are so handy to have. You can flip them over, depending on your mood (or company.)
I used four fat quarters. I cut each quarter in half and trimmed it to placemat size. Mind you, these are rather skinny--I'm thinking of adding extra-wide binding tape all around just to flesh them out a bit more. I matched up the fabrics right sides together, pairing one modern piece with one country piece, and sewed three sides with a tiny seam.  Then I turned them right side out and pressed flat.


Next, I cut some batting so that it was 1/2 inch shorter than the placemats on all sides.


I inserted the batting.  The easiest way to do this is to fold the batting in half and place one side flush with the inside of the fabric 'envelope' and then unfold it. Then I turned the open side under about 1/4 inch and sewed that up.


Here they are, before getting their batting.


And here's the monkey waiting for them to dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment